Nobody Freak Out

"Do not be surprised, brothers and sisters, if the world hates you. We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death." 1 John 3:14


Yesterday was rough, ya'll. But let me back up...


I am a master at sucking it up. You will likely never know if something is bothering me or if the whole danged world is falling apart because I am a complete master of the chaos, and I thrive under pressure and also pretending like #EVERYTHINGISOK #NOBODYFREAKOUT








So after a days of concerns, worry, stress, lifting it up to God (no give it back now because I want to stress some more over this, thank youuuu), things came to an tipping point and the bad news came and then I had to go pretend like I had it all together AT A BOARD MEETING, and then I came home and faced the fact that my little one is leaving for an entire week and WHAT are we gonna do for a WHOLE WEEK without the constant talking / laundry / baseball / talking / snacking / sunscreen / swimming / eating me out of house and home?!?


And the tears came.


And I prayed and I asked God, "can you let me just cry this out and shelf it for a bit and come back to you in five?"


So He let me. Because He knows. Sometimes you gotta get it out sister.


This morning I headed straight to work at 5 am in my Bible. I thought about the events of my year and how I have probably never, in my 37 years of life, felt as much shift and uncertainty as I have this year in so many areas that have always been rock solid.


But then I reflected - if there's one practice that I have cultivated throughout this year, it is this: ownership.


Ownership ain't easy. Because our tendencies are to blame and find the fault in everyone except ourselves. I mean, the world hates us, right? But here's the deal: blame doesn't ever satisfy.


Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. - Matthew 7:3-5


But this? This satisfies:


Yes that person / recession / illness / circumstance / car wreck / grade / relationship really stinks.


But I still choose to own it. It is mine. And I choose love, not blame or hatred.


Why are we surprised when the world hates us? We aren't called to sort that out. We were TOLD that hatred and strife would come against us. But LOVE gives us the vehicle to move forward.


We make a conscious choice to love our path and circumstances. And I feel like ownership is the first step toward fully embracing the destiny God has designed for each of us.

Comments

Popular Posts