Because...THAT child

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! - Matthew 7:11

I know you're thinking that when Destin and I began this write-off, I was super confident and basically like my own version of "Stomp the Yard," just chillin with my Scriptural knowledge on the 50-yard line of the football field. With my cymbals. And my dance moves.

Instead, it looked a little like THIS:


I was STRESSIN'! I had to bust out the NIV and the NKJV and some notes and some other notes and then I turned it around and upside down.

On Friday, I drove alone to my family's ranch in the Hill Country. My mind took a detour to when my son was an infant. I can distinctly remember, through a fog of sleepless nights and fatigue, looking down at him as he slept in my arms. I prayed "Lord, don't ever let me forget this moment right now."

The feeling of his tiny heartbeat and breath. The sight of his onesie and swaddling blanket. The sway of my black and white polka dot glider that now hosts my morning studies. Our dog at my feet. Stillness. Peace. My child.

Parents, hear me roar: when you have children, you don't think about the sacrifices.

You just DO THE THINGS.

You don't question the middle-of-the-night feedings, the endless picking up of ALL THE STUFF x 15 times / day, the loads upon loads of laundry.

Your heart and will is just open; a constant pouring out of love and time and YOURSELF because...that child.

The goldfish. The crayons. The 17,476th reading of "Sheep in a Jeep." Your stock in Disney's series "Cars" and how you cannot remember what you took to the dry cleaners but you can recite all lines from the Lego movie. Because...that child.

The concern and the checking on and the screening of iPads and the careful review of behavior reports from school that say your child was "talking about farting in class during math warm up" (#truth). Because...that child.



Friends...if you know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts because you are...that child.

He will not give you a stone when you ask for bread. He will not give you a serpent when you ask for a fish. He will give you ALL when you ASK because His heart and will are open, constantly pouring out that same love and time and Himself because...

...that child. IS. YOU.

 



Ready to read Destin Sims' interpretation of this same incredible Word? Read his blog and follow along as we challenge each other weekly! Visit www.destinsims.com.


Comments

Popular Posts