Swimming

I wish I could lie to you and tell you that I have it all together.

I always want SO desperately to be defined by a mission or an accomplishment or something identifiable where we can point to it and proclaim it the "thing I am good at!"

Here's the naked, honest truth.

That "thing" we point at to define ourselves? It's the every day.

I have learned this lesson well: the daily actions and discipline we foster shapes the whole picture for us. It's the "thing." It is either Him, or not Him.

Since Hurricane Harvey made landfall, I have leaned into the moments of tedium, of relentless beating on the threshing floor. The laundry folding, the sandwich making, the drying off the dogs, the keeping tabs on family.

I repeat to myself:

Gratitude for laundry.

Gratitude for a husband to make food for - and food to provide for him.

Gratitude for joyous pets and resources to care for them.

Gratitude for family and friends and the ability to check on one another at the touch of a button.

Daily thanks. Daily praise to the High King. Daily work to check myself before I wreck myself and to not let the enemy work within me.

I do super dorky things like write core values and personal goals and I identified long ago that my word, my intent, is to be relentless.

Relentless in knowing Jesus. Relentless in obeying his daily commands. Relentless in my walk. Relentless in being a wife, a mother, a sister and a friend. Relentless in any endeavor I pursue.

It does not matter if I am tired, or weary, or frustrated. I do not hit "snooze" literally or figuratively. He gave me these opportunities and I will not squander them.

My goals this year included picking up my blog again. So here we go.

"You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. 

But my righteous one will live by faith. And I take no pleasure in the one who shrinks back. But we do not belong to those who shrink back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved."

Hebrews 10:36, 39

Comments

Popular Posts