Joints and Marrow

"For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12


I truly don't think we serve one another as Christians unless we are real. I pondered posting this particular story because my mind swam with judgment and fear, which I have come to realize is exactly the circumstance that Christ calls me to share with you. Lest we all shall remember: we are in this together and LIFE IS MESSY.

I was called into IV's jiu jitsu class last week to bear witness. To the err made by my eight year old and the consequences that would result.

My son, precious as he is in the eyes of God, called his coach "gay."

Now. Let me clarify that he does not have a clue what "gay" means. It was hurled as an insult, in anger or frustration, which honestly? Is what sent this mama to a very, very bad place.

He proceeded to bear crawl with a fellow co-criminal until they collapsed on the floor, panting and never wanting to utter another word in coaches direction again. Bear crawls in a gi in Texas heat in an un-air conditioned gym ain't no joke y'all.

I drove the car home quietly.

"God, how do I fix THIS ONE?" I asked.

I mean...thousands of responses and scenarios and "teachable moments" ran through my mind. And none of them settled with me. HURT. How bad words can HURT others and how much power there is in these words. All words! UGH.

And God spoke. He said "how would I fix this?"

So I turned to the Word.

Y'all, the Bible isn't some history book of dull, dusty pages of stories. The BIBLE is LIFE. No matter the circumstances, the answer is right there within the pages.

Technology changes. Presidents change. People shoot one another with rocks and slings or semi-automatic rifles. Children hurl insults out of anger. The insult might change but our human nature does. NOT.

One thing you can count your life on: the Word of God is unchanging.

It is ALIVE and ACTIVE. That means it doesn't stay on the shelf to tell tales of the past - it leaps out of the pages to give you the answers you so desperately need when you want to ground your child for the rest of his life. When you make him write down Proverbs 18:21 repeatedly until he has it memorized.

Which is exactly what we did.

And I hope that somewhere along the way, along with a good dose of mom lecture and tears, my son is learning too. That mistakes can be remedied. Frustration can be eased. Lessons can be learned.

By simply asking God to show us through the Word.


"The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat of its fruit." Proverbs 18:21

Comments

Popular Posts